Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Candles, candy canes and chaos

How lovely it is to have a (nearly) white (nearly) Christmas! If you don't have to leave the house, that is. This country is so very poorly equipped to be dealing with snow or even frost, or temperatures colder than -2. Coming from a country where temperature drops below -20 on a regular basis over the winter, and a couple of feet of snow is nothing extraordinary, I find it just a little bit funny. Closing schools because of snowfall is simply amazing to me. Had we done that in Finland, I'd probably still be waiting to finish primary school.

Traveling to the Christmas party on Sunday was exciting to say at least. We all made it there and were well impressed by the hotel. A warm welcome, comfy rooms, delicious food and above all, excellent bar staff who kept serving drinks until breakfast time. No scandals or embarrassment, just good fun had by all.

The day after there were a few pale faces to be seen around the breakfast room. Best fix for that was a decent fry-up and some retail therapy. Shops were heaving with Christmas shoppers and great offers, too. I picked up a few stocking fillers in record time without getting the usual feeling of claustrophobia or an impending panic attack.

Mr S returned on Monday night to find me eating my way through the house. Drink has that effect on me. Not so much as a hangover, just constant hunger. Poor Mr S had braved the icy, snowy roads
all the way from Oxfordshire to Wales, ferry across to Rosslare and from there on to the wilds of Connemara. The man fell asleep before his head hit the pillow.

We did the last of our Christmas food shop yesterday, so now all that is left for me to do is the last of the baking, and obviously the dinner. We'll have a nice, cosy Christmas dinner here on Christmas eve with just the two of us and we'll skate our way over to Mr S's mother on Christmas Day. Mr S has taken off to do the last of his Christmas shopping, he's improved since last year when he left it until Christmas Eve.

Pastries, cakes and biscuits are on the agenda for me today. I shall cover the kitchen in flour and what I hope, a
christmassy smell and atmosphere. I'll be signing off now until after the holidays, a peaceful Christmas to you all, see you before the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment