Thursday, November 12, 2009

Obsessions

What a nice day I had today. If I sound surprised it's because I was working today and was, quite frankly, expecting it to be shit. So I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out, well, nice.

Mr S wanted to go shopping yesterday. I know, I was just as shocked as you are. He NEVER wants to go shopping with me. He much rather goes in by himself, picks up exactly what he needs and nothing more and then goes in to one of the electrics -shops and looks at TVs and other gadgets and then comes home telling me we need most of them if not all of them. The man loves his gadgets. Some of them do come in handy, such as the navigator, which has saved me from many a sticky spot. I love not having to take out the huge map of the entire country and trying to locate yourself on it every time you're not entirely sure where it is that you're supposed to be going. On the downside I have completely stopped paying attention to road signs. All I can do is hope there's no major changes on the roads down our neck of the woods any time soon, lord knows where I'll wind up. But then I do have my trusty navigator to tell me where to go in case I do get lost. It really is a win-win situation. Just don't tell Mr S I said that, I was complaining that he spent too much money on the thing at the time.

A work mate told me today they think I'm suffering from
OCD. The thing is, they're probably right. I'm borderline at least. What prompted the statement from my colleague was when he saw me re-arranging plates by size and shape and stacking them on shelves. For me it was completely natural to do that with my spare time. When things aren't put away in the right place, it does bother me. Rationally thinking I know it's not that big of a deal but in real life if I see a square plate stacked on top of a pile of round ones, there's very little I can do to stop myself from placing the square one safely back with it's own kind.

I just like things done in a certain way, but I do have to admit I do take to the extremes sometimes. It's not like expect everyone to do the same. Apart from Mr S, who, often gets me nagging at him to do something only to find me re-doing it if he hasn't done it
exactly as I would do it.

For example, I can only make sandwiches in even numbers. This causes problems because most loaves of bread will only make an uneven number of sandwiches or worse yet, you're left with a lonely slice of bread without a partner.

My car stereo volume can only be an even number. Acceptable uneven numbers are 5 and 15. If anyone else is driving the car while I'm in it, I will keep a close eye on the volume. If it's anyone
else's car I really don't care as long as the music is good.

I never put a new
CD onto track 13 unless I know the track. Again, if someone else does it, I don't care.

It's not like I believe something horrible is going to happen if I don't do these things but I still insist on doing them. It makes me feel better.

Order into my chaos.

Poor Mr S.

No comments:

Post a Comment