Thursday, February 11, 2010

Bee Hive

Oh how I've pretended to be busy. Well, not entirely pretending, I must say. All those loose ends I was talking about a few posts ago; the car service etc. are slowly being taken care of. Mainly because I want to be able to go on my holidays in 11 days from today (can you tell I'm looking forward to it? can you?) and not have to worry about any of that.

I talked to my parents today for the first time in a month, in other words first time since they went to Thailand. Lucky sods. They spent a month in the heat and sun and apparently towards the end of their holiday my mother was completely blending in with the native dwellers of Khao Lak. My mother is tiny, anyway, and she tans ridiculously well for a Finnish person. Can't wait to see them!

Work has been the usual mixture of highs and lows and the inbetweens. Lots of planning for this season, some of the ideas thrown around are very exciting, some of them I wish I had the power to bin straight away. I had to suppress my fit of giggles with a customer last weekend. He asked me how to use the self-service coffee machine. I told him to put his cup under the nozzle and then choose the coffee he wanted. The machine in question is one with 6 push buttons and nothing else, each button very clearly labeled "black coffee", "cappuccino", "latte" etc. The man thanked me, put his cup under the nozzle, leaned very close to the machine and very clearly said "black coffee" into the nozzle and then stood back to wait for the machine to do his bidding. I dove down pretending to pick up a pen I had "dropped" and bit my lip trying not to laugh. Seriously, you can't make these things up.

At some stage, at work, we were talking about putting all these experiences into a book. I wonder what happened to that idea? I alone could easily fill a chapter or two and I'm there only 7 years this year. Like the time the kitchen got so hot in the middle of the summer the chefs at the end of their shift stripped down to their boxer shorts and walked out into the restaurant much to the amusement of our customers...

No comments:

Post a Comment