Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Year In Review

I thought I’d throw a wistful glance over my shoulder to look back on the year that was 2010. The year 2010 for me, that is, I’m sure there were other events in the world far more important than what I am about to go through here, but this is my blog so there. Suck these lemons.

January
Because of the freezing weather, I mostly remember being housebound and doing a lot of knitting. Work was closed due to the weather, too, so there was plenty of time to knit until I felt like I was turning into a 1950’s housewife. I didn’t quite manage the beehive hairstyle. Or the apron.
On the work front there were bad news. Some of the staff were laid off, made redundant, booted out the door etc. Tears were shed and there was a general feeling of unease, wondering who’s head would be next on the chopping block.
Ever the optimists, Mr S and I managed to fit in some househunting as well. Nothing much came from it, and in hindsight just as well, we’d be up to our tonsils in debt had we actually gone through with it. Shame though, it was a really nice flat.
                Song of the month: Florence & The Machine – You Got The Love
                Overall score 3/5

February
Probably because of the lay-offs and other, general malaise at work I did seriously consider quitting my job. I had my letter of resignation typed up and ready to be handed in if things got really bad. I looked around for a few jobs as well, got two interviews and few other bits out of my searching but in the end decided it wasn’t worth it. Why jack in a job that pays well and is local for one that pays a bit more but the commute is 2 hours each way? It gave me a nice ego boost though, knowing that I have skills that will come in handy should I ever find myself jobless.
I took my remaining holidays in February, too. Went to see the family and basically managed to gain a pound per day while there. It was so good to see everyone again, two weeks went by in a flash. A flash of giggles, food and too much drink. Especially after mine and my brother’s wine drinking marathon. 5 bottles for two people is a bit much, isn’t it?
                Song of the month: Ellie Goulding – Starry Eyed
                Overall score 4/5

March
Looking back at March 2010 I can mainly remember the noise of an angle grinder mixed with that of a drill and cement dust. The restaurant I work in was getting a facelift and it wasn’t a minor one. It was horribly noisy and dusty and stressful. The end result is truly beautiful, but it was a painful journey to get there, no matter how nice the builders were. Apart from that creepy one. He was proper creepy.
I think I’m trying to block out the entire month just because it was so bloody stressful. Oh yes, I did buy myself new glasses. Win.
                Song of the month: Lady GaGa – Telephone
                Overall score 2/5

April
April brought me insomnia, big time. I get bouts every now and then but April’s dose had me bouncing off the walls. You try keeping yourself sane and functional while getting on average three hours’ sleep a night for a couple of weeks. Go on, I dare you.
On the work front, things were still getting busy and changing. Our head chef handed in his notice, sick of the pressure and stress. Our deputy manager hit him on the head with a diary. That’s how we roll. And consequently we were presented with a new head chef. He turned out okay, by the way, but we were a bit reserved to begin with.
The big news was the volcano in Iceland. Remember? Yeah, no flights in and no flights out of Europe. Ironically, that didn’t include Iceland where airports stayed fully operational. At work we saw a dip in visitor numbers for a while, although there were a lot of Irish people who decided to stay local instead of booking flights and ending up having them cancelled.
                Song of the month: Biffy Clyro – Captain
                Overall score 3/5

May
Ahh, May. The month I properly discovered the fabulousness that is Mumford & Sons. The spring was in full swing and the album Sigh No More was my soundtrack. A treat for the ears (end the eyes as I discovered after seeing the BBC3 coverage of the Reading and Leeds festival).
Having moaned about thins at work, and trust me there was plenty to moan about, true to the season that was in it, I went on a positivity binge. Not entirely sure whether or not it was a success, but mainly because we had some fabulous weather, everyone seemed to be in a good mood.
I must mention my pretty, shiny iPhone here. I still love it, am attached to it and will never buy another phone ever again. Okay?
                Song of the month: Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man
                Overall score 5/5

June
June saw some epic nights out and some more of fantastic weather. I understand that I must’ve been living in Ireland for too long if sunny and warm weather in the summertime has me running out immediately and feeling all continental having drinks outside the pub.
A few more people decided their time with our employer had come to an end, so there were some leaving parties, too. Basically, the month of June was spent in the pub. Or the beach.
I also had a little melt-down regarding what to wear to my cousins upcoming wedding in july. I spent a full day in Galway trying to find something to wear and came up empty. I managed to sort out the dress issue by cleverly doing some online shopping. And then abandoning those dresses and opting for another one I picked up later in Galway on shopping trip number two.
                Song of the month: Paolo Nutini - Candy
                Overall score 5/5

July
More fine weather in July. Hot weather and wasps. Work got invaded by them, literally. Our pretty, shiny new seating area outside saw people sitting down for their lunch and then quickly running for cover back inside for fear of being stung.
More barbeques and beach for me. I believe I may have consumed an entire cow in a month. That and couple of chickens and maybe half a pig, too. We did throw some corn on the cob on the barbeque, too but it was nearly always left untouched. Vegetarians would’ve starved to death.
I got to travel to Finland once again for my cousins wedding which was an eventful day (and night). My brother’s fiancé and I got out hair and makeup done in the morning which very nearly made us late for the whole thing. Got there alright, got drunk and had the mother of all hangovers the following day. And what better way to cure hangover than paint a stack on wood planks intended for cladding the main house at my father’s old homestead. In +34 degree heat. Yeah. Hardcore.
                Song of the month: Laura Marling – Rambling Man
                Overall score 4/5

August
After binging on meat of all types and quite frankly, way too much alcohol, I decided to start a Better Life. You know, exercise, less food, healthy food and all that goes with it. Yeah, about that... I did go walking a lot, I rang up a gym to find out about their fees and all that but nothing ever came of it.
I did eat healthier and drank a whole lot less. So it wasn’t all bad.
                Song of the month: Travie McCoy – Billionaire
                Overall score 3/5

September
My Mumford & Sons obsession got a second coming. Why, I don’t know exactly. I found myself drawn to Laura Marling’s music as well. Nice, autumn-y tunes. As opposed to the bouncy, pop-y tunes we’d been listening to all summer long.
I finally went ahead and got my hair cut short. I had wanted to do that for a good while, but decided that I wanted to have a nice up-do for the wedding, so this was the time to get the chop. And it turned out fabulous. Still is. Although I’ve had it cut even shorter since then.
I was also bitten by the travel bug. Typical autumn for me, then. I get itchy feet and drool  over travel brochures and then decide it’s too expensive. But that two week trip to Kenya is still somewhere in the back of my mind. It wasn’t too expensive...I don’t think.
                Song of the month: Mumford & Sons – Winter Winds
                Overall score 4/5

October
October is always a miserable month. Dark and horrible and rainy. This year made worse by my grandfather passing away. No more to be said of this vile month.
                Song of the month: Biffy Clyro – Many Of Horror
                Overall score 1/5

November
In November we got our notice to move house. Which resulted in some hilarity when we went to see houses for let. Too big, too small, smelly, old and ridiculously expensive. I’m glad both Mr S and I have a sense of humour. The landlords clearly did, too.
The weather turned cold, icy and snowy. Which turned me into a hibernating, weather-obsessed hermit. I was engrossed in television, namely I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here! It did prove a welcome distraction from the shambles that was the IMF bailout. Irish economy was in the shits yet the government was denying that they were going to ask for a bailout while the media all over Europe already knew the size of the bailout. Ridiculous.
                Song of the month: Take That – Flood
                Overall score 3/5

December
We got even more snow and ice in December. Which resulted me in wrecking my back bumper. Sadface. My pretty little car. I did give myself an awful fright, too. Bumper needs to be fixed yet, but at least I’ve gotten a quote and it wasn’t too bad in the end.
The snow caused our workplace to close simply because it was too dangerous to get out there. The snow also made sure that our long planned and eagerly awaited for trip to Finland was out of the question. Same went for the company Christmas party. The thaw couldn’t come fast enough.
On the positive note, we did find a house to move into in the new year. A nice three-bed with the nicest landlords you could imagine. Awesome.
                Song of the month: Bruno Mars – Just The Way You Are
                Overall score 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment